The Mookse and the Gripes Forum

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:34 am 
Site Admin

I'll be sure to read several from your list, lascosas :-) . I agree with you fully on Her Not All Her, The Infatuations, and A Treatise on Shelling Beans.

Here are the ones I have but haven't read yet:

The No World Concerto
City of Angels
My Beautiful Bus
Where Tigers Are at Home (I started this one, loved it, stalled, need to finish)
Seiobo There Below
The Eleven

I list them, because they are ones from your list I've been anxious to read anyway. Which means you have about fifteen on your list I need to seek out!

By the way, I asked Chad when clues would be coming and this afternoon (about four hours ago) he still didn't have the list himself, though the list is finalized. Chad said he'd start putting up clues as soon as he got it, so I'm thinking sometime tomorrow we'll have some more information and, consequently, some more fun.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:40 am 

Lascosas, I agree with the earlier poster who said you should be a judge. After so much reading a list like that is worthy of note, and the discussion have got me interested in a few of those. If I am not tired of Iceland by next week perhaps even the Letter from Helga soon.

--------------

A somewhat off-topic enquiry for those who've read lots of recent translations - there wasn't anywhere else to put it.
After three weeks of reading translations, albeit short, well-known ones (11.5 books and looking at blurbs for dozens more), I am really noticing the absence of LGBTQ characters and stories. It's all straight people and sweeping generalisations about men and women.

There are probably enough pressures re. "we should translate more of X group" already. But if you have noticed any translated books in the last few years, including those in this thread, which have significant LGBT storylines or characters who are notably unconventional about gender, I would love to know the titles.

I am more interested in European works but that's just me; other people somewhere will want to know about rest-of-world titles.

All I've found so far is this World Literature Today article listing a few older works, and a couple of new translations I happened on by accident, Sworn Virgin by Elvira Dones*, and Radio by Tonnu Onnepalu.

*NSFW swearing in book extract in this link.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:58 pm 

Dilettante-
Not many women writers translated, even less queer fiction. I frankly can't remember reading any Lesbian novels in translation, ever. This year the only gay male translated novel was Mehmet Murat Somer, and that is a campy transvestite murder series.

As a baby dyke in the early 1970s, these things mattered to be hugely. As an old grandmother dyke, it somehow doesn't interest me as much. Which is probably sad.

Mookse-
For me, two books tie for the best translation of the year...Where Tigers Are at Home & Seiobo There Below. I thought each was perfect, though in entirely different ways. The book I have spent the most time thinking about is City of Angels. First because I grew up in Santa Monica where the book takes place and know the various milieus within the city to which she refers, and second because of the honesty with which she approaches the moral and ethical dilemnas that pop up. She has no easy answers, and it is of course only easy answers that our society craves. So I recommend attacking those three first, though I sure wish I could convince someone to read Mandala Road, very inexpensive in ebook format.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

I just got word from Chad that he just got the longlist. He said he will be putting a post together a bit later today to tease us.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:56 pm 

Wonderful!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

Here are Chad's clues!

One thing to point out is that if you happen to guess all twenty-five correctly you can win a year's subscription to Open Letter. So make sure Chad knows your picks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:53 pm 
Site Admin

I'll have to take some time to go over my list and see what fits and what doesn't. But I must exclaim: twenty-three presses!? That's crazy! Usually Dalkey, Archipelago, and New Directions each have multiple titles on the longlist. This means only two (or maybe only one) does, and I wonder if one of them is Other Press, for both Where Tigers Are at Home and A True Novel. I think that Archipelago is the other with My Struggle: Book 2 and Blinding. But if I'm right, that means at most one books from each of New Directions (Seiobo There Below and Dalkey (no real guess here but I'll throw out The No World Concerto because it's on my list).

Anyway, I'm going to revisit my first stab at a longlist and try to come up with a longlist that fits all (or as close to all as possible) of the clues.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:01 am 

lascosas wrote:
For me, two books tie for the best translation of the year...Where Tigers Are at Home & Seiobo There Below. I thought each was perfect, though in entirely different ways. The book I have spent the most time thinking about is City of Angels.

Three great books I'd love to try (I almost bought the Wolf in German a while back). Once I've finished the IFFP reading, I might see how I go with the American version.

I agree that the two publishers with two books will be Archipelago and Other Press (so that's the kiss of death right there!).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:06 am 

lascosas wrote:
Each of the judges get to put in a favorite. PLEASE powers that be, don't make me read something like We, the Children of Cats, by Tomoyuki Hoshino this year just because I want to read the whole longlist. Please!

I loved this book, something very different (especially the last story) - different tastes, I suppose ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:07 am 

mookse wrote:
I'll have to take some time to go over my list and see what fits and what doesn't. But I must exclaim: twenty-three presses!? That's crazy! Usually Dalkey, Archipelago, and New Directions each have multiple titles on the longlist. This means only two (or maybe only one) does, and I wonder if one of them is Other Press, for both Where Tigers Are at Home and A True Novel. I think that Archipelago is the other with My Struggle: Book 2 and Blinding. But if I'm right, that means at most one books from each of New Directions (Seiobo There Below and Dalkey (no real guess here but I'll throw out The No World Concerto because it's on my list).

Anyway, I'm going to revisit my first stab at a longlist and try to come up with a longlist that fits all (or as close to all as possible) of the clues.

Maybe Archipelago has three (if you add in 'A Treatise on Shelling Beans')...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next